Monday, February 02, 2009

So Proud of Him

BSC and I went to Target tonight to pick up a few things. We did our usual routine: One of us doing the shopping while the other takes The Boy to the toy aisle for some entertainment. This time the boys went off to play while I gathered the items from our list. After putting the shampoo and conditioner into the shopping cart, I turned around and saw my two guys coming toward me, with Nathan riding a bike.

Now why am I so proud of this? Because his daddy didn't even flinch at the thought of letting Nathan ride a pink and purple bike around in public. I know a few dads who would have a fit at the thought of their boy playing with such a "girlie" item. I am ok if Nathan plays with his cousin's dolls, I'm ok if he wants to play dress-up, and I'm ok if he rides a pink bike. Making a big deal out of generally gender-specific toys to a two year old could potentially have a negative effect on him when he's older. So, good job BSC, you've risen above the typical male stereotypes and passed on an excellent lesson to your son!

Photobucket

5 comments:

gayle said...

I like your style! Very good viewpoint in my opinion. :)

Nici said...

i am shocked! maybe now brandon will let ciara put nate in some snow white?

Candice said...

That is an awesome way to raise your son! Good job to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Well done Biddie Brandon!

tabitha jane said...

sweet!