Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thank You

For those of you who commented on my last post, thank you for being civilized with your answers. For those of you who did not comment, I understand. People are vicious when it comes to politics and religion and exposing yourself so publicly is frightening.

One of my favorite magazines is Real Simple. This month's question posed to readers was "What are your hopes for this country?" I would like to quote some of my favorite answers:

"What I would very much like to see and feel is a renewed commitment to the American spirit. I would like to see all of us unite, not in our religious beliefs or political affiliations, but in our commitment to protecting our country. I believe that we can do this by becoming self-sufficient as a nation. We have what we need here to prosper. We also need to care for our environment an educate our children to prepare them to be future innovators and leaders. We need to look inward and strive to improve the nation. Our efforts will help us maintain peace with others around the globe."

"My hope is that being green isn't just a fad - that it becomes a normal way of life. We should support local farmers and learn to conserve our resources."

"I sincerely hope for decency and a sense of decorum to return to our government and our people. The vulgar name-calling and vicious attitudes of the parties have been the most demoralizing I've ever witnessed. We need to return to the gracious and mannerly demeanor of the 'greatest generation.' In the 1940s, these men and women accomplished the impossible be handing us a secure and prosperous America after World War II. Freedom of speech is a wonderful right. However, as with all rights, if abused and left unattended, it becomes common and full of negativity."

"I'd like to see us regain the respect and integrity we once had, in ourselves and from other countries, as the nation that does the right thing, treats our neighbors as ourselves, and helps other countries pick themselves up again."

"My country has my husband in Iraq until September 2009. My hope is that it brings him home safely."

"If everyone took a few hours to volunteer and connect with their communities, our country would be a nicer place to live in. It would be so refreshing to hear about coworkers' or friends' weekends spent at a local soup kitchen or cleaning up a beach rather than about trips to the mall or how much they had to drink on Saturday night. It's easy to spend money on yourself; it's more of a challenge to give it to your community. We could all use a helping hand."




Photobucket

2 comments:

SandGs Mom said...

amen

Jackie Blum said...

Real Simple is the only magazine I subscribe to, and I seriously look forward to getting the mail when I am expecting it to arrive (sad, I know). The "Your Words" section is one of the first things I turn to in every issue, after reading Kristin van Ogtrop's editorial. I have to admit, though, I was a little disappointed in this month's "Your Words." I liked the question; I guess I was just hoping for some more specific answers. Instead, it seemed like everyone was running for Miss America and wanted such ambiguous and lofty things. Some were good - the one about realizing that everything we need is right here in this country was one of my favorites. But others lacked specifics. I am glad I didn't send in a response - I probably would have offended half the country. :o)