Monday, October 27, 2008

Oh Abilene

This past weekend was ACU's Homecoming. On Thursday, BSC and I loaded up the boy and flew into Austin and stayed with our friends, Kara and Alan. Before making the four-hour drive to Abilene, Kara had to work for a few hours. So I decided to help her out a bit by washing some dishes and doing a few loads of laundry. I know how hard it is to work full time and take care of an eight month old at the same time (plus her hubby is in med school). So here I am, washing the dishes, thinking I'm helping out my friend. Little did I know that the sink wasn't hooked up to the drain until my feet were soaking wet and the water was rushing out from the cabinets. CRAP!! As fast as I could, I grabbed everything out from underneath the sink and sopped up the water with some towels (some = six towels soaked with water). This was the boys' reaction to the flood:

So the weekend started out a bit stressful, but quickly turned to blissful when Kara brought some Taco Bueno back for lunch. Holy yummy. The drive to Abilene went smooth, both kiddos were great during the drive and we arrived in plenty of time to enjoy the carnival held on campus. It was weird walking on campus again. Once we pulled up to the parking lot, I had a very clear moment of thinking "I'm officially one of the old people who have returned for the sole purpose of reminiscing about my college days."

We awoke very early the next morning to attend my sorority's Homecoming breakfast:

These are some of this year's pledges holding Kaitlyn in her halloween costume. For those of you who don't know, the giraffe is our mascot.


Kara and Kaitlyn the giraffe.


LeighAnn and I (she flew in from DC, we both won a t-shirt for traveling so far).


Circle up girls! Another sorority tradition.


My freakin' hot shoes.


Awww, nothing sweeter.


Me and Allison, who so graciously allowed us to stay at her home while in Abilene.


The ladies in my pledge class who came to breakfast.


The boys at the parade.


The float built by our pledges.


The cute pledges!


All in all the weekend was a blast. After the parade, we attended Chapel, went to the JMC reception and ate more yummy Mexican food. We drove back to Austin that night and spent more time with Kara, Alan and Kaitlyn. Alan had the sink fixed by the time we got back, so I was able to finish their dishes too!

Everything went downhill on Sunday when we left. We had a really early flight out of Austin
. Both BSC and I slept through the alarm (which I have NEVER done in my life). So we were one of those people running through the airport to catch our flight. Luckily we made it, but Nathan was in no mood to be on a flight that early in the morning. He was a terror, screaming, kicking the seats, etc, etc. On top of all that, I lost my voice and was unable to say much of anything - even apologize to the people around us who had to deal with Nathan's fit. It was so embarrassing.

I'm so glad we got to go. It was exhausting and a ton of fun. For those of you I didn't see, I wish we would have had more time. I guess I'll see you in another five years!


Photobucket

10 comments:

Allison Connor said...

Lo, it was so good to see you this weekend! I am sorry the trip back was stressful. Hopefully it will not be 5 years before we see you agian! I am glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see you!!! I just wish we could have hung out more. Things get crazy! But I'll see you soon - and definitely before another 4 years - that's just ridiculous. I'm glad you guys got back safely! Love you!

Unknown said...

Dude...I was in Austin too!! Very disappointed you didn't call me back, sorry I called so late.

M

LoriLoo310 said...

Yeah, seriously why in the world did you call me at 1:30 in the morning??? I just figured you were drunk dialing me.

jennifer said...

Sounds like a great weekend!! Traveling can wear you out and it doesn't help when the kiddo is having a bad day!! And your shoes were fabulous!

tabitha jane said...

i miss good mexican food!

Shea said...

It was so good to see you last weekend. We missed getting to see Brandon and Nathan too. ...maybe in the next 5 years :-)

Jackie Blum said...

Glad to see you guys had a great time, and yes, your shoes were freaking hot!! I can't believe your college mascot is a giraffe. Giraffes are too cute to be mascots!

The Screenwriter's Wife said...

Hey Lori - I just tagged you in my blog. :)

mindy said...

yikes...an open mouth profile shot right here on the www:) good times....i love your dishes story at Kara's...that is so something I would have done, trying to be helpful, only to make a much bigger mess! Glad Nathan got to experience A-town:)